Monday, June 17, 2013

Soccer

Back in the Fall Anne came home dejected because everyone else in the world was on a soccer team execpt her. I explained that we'd like to get her in soccer or something soon, but it cost money, dad was doing grad school, etc. but I promised her we'd look into it soon. She demanded a deadline so I vaguely said maybe next year. What I meant was the end of next year, as in when grad school would be over. Well, sure enough mid-January came along and she brought home a flyer for spring soccer sign-ups and announced that it was "next year". I wasn't sure it was a good idea. It would be all of April and May- the months of finals and moving- which meant I would possibly be on my own to get her to and from practice and games. Ugh. I really didn't want to. Plus Sara had decided if Anne got to then she had to so that meant two teams and two practice/game schedules. Yikes. But I felt bad so I called just to get the particulars of where and how often and found out they could be on the same team and it was really only about three hours a week.

Well, we decided to just go for it and I'm so glad we did. They had a great coach and the other girls were really nice with not-too-crazy parents. Kellan actually ended up being able to help coach in spite of finals so it turned into a family thing. That is Kellan and the girls did soccer and I chased down the other three. Kellan only ened up missing two games and actually coached two by himself. I was worried because they had never played before and that they wouldn't be very good. They learned and improved so much though and Kellan was an amazing coach. Kellan especially loved it I think. I'm so glad that we could let them do it even though at first it seemed impossible.

They both loved defense. Anne particularly loved being goalie. She's pretty good too. Also, it was good for her to learn to have fun even when they were loosing (they lost a lot especially at first) And Sara loved being a defender. She's so sensitive I was sure she'd be hysterical every time she got knocked down but she really surprised us. She'd get right in the throng of kids and turned out to be quite the little fighter. It was so fun to see them learn and figure out what they're good at and like to do.   

No comments: