Every 4 months brings another end to yet another semester as we slowly but surely work our way toward Kellan's bachelor degree.
The last 2 weeks of a semester seem like the last mile of a marathon, or the last few reps of lifting weights, or the last 1/2 hr of labor.
Sorry to mention labor, but its really the only one in that list I can relate to. But I imagine running a marathon and lifting weights are difficult in a similar way.
This is where our lives are right now. Wondering what on earth we got ourselves into and why the heck we thought we could take on so much.
It doesn't get easier each semester either. You'd think I'd be a pro at managing stress and chaos by now, but I think I'm only getting worse.
The worst part is I know its coming and I try to prepare myself, but inevitably I have at least one nervous break down every other day. My kids are quick to pick up on this useful tool for managing the stress and the we-miss-Dad-and-are-bored-to-tears phase of the semester.
This past week began normally and the nervous break-downs commenced. But this time Kellan decided to handle the stress a little differently.
Thursday morning Anne and Sara presented Dad with an invitation they had made him. It was an invitation to a Daddy-daughter date. Complete with a picture of everything they wanted to do with him- Go to movies, get popcorn, etc.
It pretty much ripped the poor guy's heart out to tell them he wouldn't be around again to take them. It's a been a while since their last date. It was a rough day for everyone.
Friday morning came with a five page paper due and Kellan had hardly had time to start it. But this time he decided to tackle it another way.
He didn't do it. Instead he wrote an email to the teacher requesting an incomplete and took the girls on a picnic to 2nd dam.
The girls were ecstatic.
They had great time, and now Kellan might be able to use the remainder of the semester to pass his other 2 classes and handle his new job promotion.
Have I mentioned he got a promotion?
He did. He is now the new HR guy for Macey's and is really excited to do what he loves- payroll, interview, hire, train, who knows what else? I don't get it, but he loves it and is really good at it. We're really excited for the great opportunity it is for him.
The new job means he'll have experience and a degree eventually and then, hopefully, all of the end of semester crunches will be worth it!
I'm grateful for Kellan and his amazing incite into how to cure melt downs and that he's so passionate about his job, school, and family. He pours his heart into everything he does. Really, I think I could do my grateful post on him every day.
3 comments:
I'm with you on the end of semester meltdowns. I'm determined to make this year easier...however the heck I get that to happen. lol. You are doing an awesome thing, and will have great stories to tell. What a great example you are setting for your family. Keep up the good work!
Just thinking about finals week makes me sick. The last two we went through I got preemptively mad at Josh...just to save a little time:)
After the last final of every term wives make cookies for the students and we celebrate all together. We had to stop going because I always left crying. Too much stress.
You're amazing.
It will all be worth it!
I LOVED this.
So happy that Kellan got the promotion and so impressed at how you two manage to put your family first with so much on your plates.
What can I say?-- the Stevens family is just freaking awesome in my book.
Post a Comment